Thursday, March 27, 2008


This week I discovered the Lancaster County's Exhibit of Love Letters from the Archives of the Lancaster County manuscrpts collection.


Collection Principle:

There isn't much documentation on the collection and it seems to come from a few different areas (smaller collections) of the Lancaster Archive.

The collection is made of love letters from historical patrons from Lancaster county as well as random "everyday" persons. The collection is also catagorized into areas containing poems, letters during war time, and Valentines Day.


Metadata:

The user is able to enlarge the images of the letters (the letters themselves). Each letter is transcribed- at least the ones I looked at more closely. This helps the user read the letter and not have to figure out the handwriting.

What I found interesting was that some of the poems and even a few of the letters you can actually listen to. There is no plug-ins to download, as far as I can tell.
Object Charasteristics:
The collection is made of handwritten letters. The front and back are both scaned and the user is able to enlarge them. There is no metadata associated with the images.

No comments: